Wednesday, February 11, 2004

 
My college roommate, D, is recently out of the closet and is thus, at 23, a late-comer to the dating world. His after-first-date phone calls to me make me grateful to be settled into matrimony. Dating is hard! It would be especially hard if you were out of college, where it seems so easy to find a date, and a homosexual in west Texas. Of course, unbeknownst to the stuffy old conservatives running the show, the military is crawling with gay men, and D is fortunate enough to be living on a military base.

I have had several frantic emails from D in the last 24 hours wondering how he should handle Valentines Day with his new beau, V. They have only been dating for a couple of weeks, and it is not serious. This is a tough situation. Would a Valentines gift be coming on too strong? Ignoring it altogether would suggest disinterest in exploring a relationship. My final answer? I told D to invite V out for dinner at a nice restaurant, and acknowledge Valentines Day with a card. What are my husband and I doing for Valentines Day? We are opting not to support Hallmark's commercial holiday.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?