Sunday, March 21, 2004

 
My Mom and my Grandma came to Kansas City today so Kevin and I could take them to the airport. For our efforts, they took us out to dinner. Sitting through the meal really sent it home in my mind (I have known it for a long time, but have tried to fight it) that I am on the road to Crazy Town. Grandma just passed the Crazy Town--next exit sign, Mom just turned onto the highway to Crazy Town, and I seem to be packing for the trip. I suppose my sister is a little further along; perhaps she has loaded the baggage and is just passing the sign that says Now Leaving Sanity.

During dinner, Grandma would occasionally stop reading the signs on the wall out loud to completely misunderstand what the rest of us were saying:

Me: Mom, how are the onion rings?

Mom: Good! Want one?

Me: No, thanks.

Mom: They're different.

Me: A spice in the batter?

Mom: No. They seem heavy, like the rolls.

Grandma: Heavy like ROAST?

Me: No, rolls. The onion rings taste heavy like the rolls.

Grandma: We're not having roast.

Mom: No, mother, the rings are heavy like the ROLLS.

Grandma: Well, I haven't had the rolls yet.

...and many other such snippets from conversation. Kevin mainly just ate and looked amused, not realizing that he was having dinner with his Future in different stages.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?