Wednesday, May 19, 2004

 
It is generally known in our house, without being said out loud, that if I bake something sweet and delicious, it's MINE! Sure, I always say:

Look, Kev, I made you some chocolate-banana bread.

Hey, I made you brownies!

Good, you're home! I missed you so much that I made you chocolate chip cookies--from scratch!!


or

Hurry home because I'm making strawberry shortcake.

However, Kevin knows that he gets one piece of banana bread, one cookie, one bite of strawberry shortcake...just so he can tell me how good it is. If he wants more, he has to sneak it and then disguise the rest so that all appears as it was.

I know how terrible this makes me sound. I really have tried to work on it, but I have always had a bit of a sharing problem. If Kevin takes one of my french fries (which I never finish) he immediately gets snapped at with, "Hey, those are MY french fries!!" I know, it's bad.

I think this little trip into my childhood will demonstrate my views on sharing, or in my case, not sharing...

It's my, lets say, 7th birthday. My brother (and at the time my very best friend in the whole world) would have been 5 1/2. As I'm opening my presents Benjamin would excitedly exclaim things such as follows: Oh, Boo, that's just what you wanted! or Sara, I'm so glad you got that or Oooh, I know what this one is...you're going to LOVE it!! Ok, you get the picture. Now, I'm still 7 and it is Benjamin's 6th birthday. As he is opening his presents I would have said things like: I don't have one of those or Why didn't I get that on my birthday? or Benjamin got more presents that I did. Of course, I don't remember saying these things, but that's how the story has been told to me.

Time warp to Christmas a couple of years ago. I'll be 21 and Benjamin can be 20. Note, I always make a very detailed Christmas list. Sometimes my parents get the same gift for each child, and sometimes even disguise the packages so we don't suspect. When Benjamin opens up the new Trivial Pursuit and everyone oohs and ahhs...well, I didn't ooh or ahh. I acted on my very first instinct and up I jumped with, "WHAT?!! That was on MY Christmas list!!!" I immediately sat back down and told Benjamin that he would have fun with that new game. So I guess it's all true, the stories of my selfish ways.

Anyway...put down that cookie. It's MINE!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?