Saturday, June 19, 2004

 
Too Ugly to be Married

The other swim coach has come up with the idea that the swimmer of the week gets to make a workout for the coaches to swim on the Fridays after meets. This was a bad idea. As I am the head coach next year, I have already informed the kids to enjoy our humiliation now, because we aren't doing this again next year. It was terrible! The entire team was gathered around the blocks and on the pool edge to laugh at us and egg us on. And the parents. Don't forget the parents on the bleachers whispering worriedly to each other while keeping a keen eye on the lifeguard: These are the coaches? Them? The 3 adults struggling in the water? It was horrible, but humorous in hindsight.

It didn't take me long to develop favorites among the kids. Along with that are the kids I don't like so much. There isn't much rhyme or reason to it. Some of the complaining trouble makers are my favorites, and some of the hard workers are my least favorites. There are two sisters, both first year swimmers with white trash parents, who I really really REALLY don't like. During our humiliating coach-workout on Friday, we were resting at the blocks chatting with the kids. I was telling one of my favorite girls that I was married. The older of the white-trash sisters said that I was too ugly to be married. The other little girls all got mad at her and told her how mean that was. They didn't, however, tell her that she was wrong.

I was a bit upset by this. Kevin wanted to know if I was worried that an obnoxious nine year old said I was ugly or if I was worried that it bothered me that an obnoxious nine year old said I was ugly. I thought about it and said both.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?