Tuesday, June 21, 2005

 
Me So Pretty

I really enjoy the different cultures that we have the opportunity to observe in this country. I like being in neighborhoods or going into grocery stores where it seems to be a true melting pot. I even enjoy experiencing what it feels like to be a minority. It's fun. It's interesting. Yesterday as I was filling up my car with gas in a neighborhood I frequent for work, a group of young men yelled out, "Hey, White Candy!" This same group of men had been showering me with compliments for the few minutes it took me to fill up the gas tank. I had smiled and nodded in acknowledgement, but remained aloof. As I was called White Candy on my walk in to pay for the gas and buy a snack, I couldn't stifle the giggle. That sort of thing just doesn't happen in my neighborhood. They weren't offensive, crude, or in the least bit threatening. They were just telling me that they thought I was pretty. It was nice.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?