Friday, July 08, 2005

 
She's Baa-aaaack

Scary. That scary, freaky little girl who was haunting me last summer was back this week. I had almost forgotten her. Occasionally, I have seen her knocking on other neighbors' doors and being turned away. I was afraid that she would show up on our doorstep on Halloween and scare me, but I guess she didn't want to go out in the rain.

I was working in my office and Kevin was working outside in the yard. He came in calling my name in a way that told me something was terribly awry.

Kevin: Ummmm...Sara?

Me: What? What's wrong?

Kevin: That freaky little girl is outside.

Me: (shaking my head wildly back and forth)

Kevin: She wants to pet the dog. I told her Top was sick.

Me: (still violently shaking my head "no") No. Deal with her. Make her go away.

Kevin: No way. Nuh-uh. She has all this make up on and she's standing out there in this little bikini thing. It feels weird. You do it.

He had a point. It wasn't appropriate for him to be out there conversing with a ten year old little freak in a bikini and a face full of makeup. Where is her mother? I go to the front door and open it slightly.

Me: Yes?

Shannon: HI! DO YOU REMEMBER ME?

Me: Sort of. (I lied. Of course I remember her. She burns down my house and laughs at the horror in my nightmares.)

Shannon: Can I pet your dog?

Me: No. Top's sick. Really sick. She's not taking visitors.

Shannon: WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER?

Me: She's, umm, sick.

Hearing her name mentioned, Top, who is not sick, came prancing to the door, bouncing around happily to be having company. She loves children, even evil ones.

Shannon: HEY! THERE SHE IS!! (She starts pushing her way in the door to get to Top) ARE YOU SICK? ARE YOU SIIIIIIICK?

Me: Yeah, she's...uhh...ummm....really sick.

Shannon: I CAN HELP TAKE CARE OF HER!

Me: No!

Shannon: ONE TIME, MY DOG THREW UP! I GUESS HE WAS SICK, TOO!

Me: (silence)

Shannon: CAN I PET YOUR CAT?

Me: No. You can't pet the cat. Go on home.

Shannon: (deflated) Alright.

We locked the door and peeked out the front windows to watch her leave. She went to her bike and danced around for a bit pulling on her swim suit as if there was a bee. Finally she picked up her bike and took off. When she had turned the corner I told Kevin it was safe to go back outside.

Kevin: She's creepy.

Me: I know! I told you!



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?