Friday, March 24, 2006

 
Pretty

Work has been crazy lately. Yesterday I was walking around a quaint neighborhood in Independence, Missouri. I was knocking on doors trying to find someone who remembered a nice young man who used to live there. (This is the same young man who took me to the fire station when I locked my keys in my car.) No one knew him, but it was a nice day, cool but bright and sunny. I was wearing sensible shoes. I never feel terribly pretty when I'm wearing sensible shoes. While walking, I could hear the laughter of two boys jumping on a trampoline a few doors down. They must be on spring break and looked to be around 10 or 11 years old. As I was walking back to my car, one of them yelled out, "HI!!" I smiled big and waved at them. They seemed well behaved and were having a good time. Then, "Hey, lady, you're cute!" followed by giggles (theirs, not mine!). Then they took turns trying to out-shout each other, "You're pretty!" "I think you're pretty!" "No, I think you're pretty!" They were falling all over each other trying to cover each others' mouths so they could yell compliments at me. Ok, then. So maybe the construction guys and homeless people have stopped whistling and making lude comments. These boys made my day. I can be pregnant and in sensible shoes and still be pretty.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?